Working the Strategic Plan in 2017
Happy New Year! I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season and that the beginning of 2017 has been fun and productive.
2016 was an amazing year for CREW Detroit!
- We celebrated our 30th anniversary as a chapter.
- We hosted the CREW Network Spring Leadership Summit to rave reviews by the delegates, including an inspiring story of Detroit resurgence from the Deputy Mayor, Ike McKinnon. McKinnon’s speech resulted in a standing ovation, and at the conclusion there was a line of attendees waiting for photos with him.
- We kicked off our UCREW program at Wayne State University with more than 50 students in attendance. Our CREW members were able to share their career development and advancement stories with these highly motivated students.
- We welcomed our national speaker, Lisa Bodell, for our October program. This program highlighted the important content that CREW Detroit always brings to its members and guests.
- Our CREW Careers, Impact and Golf programs were amazing successes, as usual.
- And we kicked-off our Professional Development programming with two very informative programs.
- Last, and certainly not least, we were informed by Network during the first week of January that CREW Detroit met the 2016 CREW Network Chapter Challenge. This was the first year that our chapter made this a priority for the year. Our Chapter Champion, Amy Schneider, led the effort to communicate the importance of this goal. Our committed and generous members agreed that this was an important and effective way to give back. There are only 20 chapters that achieved all three portions of the Chapter Challenge.
I would like to recognize our committee and Board leadership for all of their hard work in advancing our mission and achieving these goals. I would like to especially thank our 2016 president, Dana Kreis-Glencer, for her leadership and hard-work. It was a really fun and productive year.
I am excited to start this year as president of CREW Detroit. We need to take the time to celebrate all of our successes and plan for what we want to accomplish in 2017. In late 2015, the chapter refined its strategic plan based on survey input that was received from our members. Our overriding goals and objectives are;
- CREW Detroit will have increased visibility, stature and influence in the regional commercial real estate market.
- CREW Detroit will continue to enhance its value to members
- CREW Detroit will provide professional development and leadership opportunities to members.
More detailed information regarding these goals and objectives is available in the Strategic Plan posted on the CREW Detroit website.
All programming and activities that we plan for this year will be directly related to accomplishing our goals. By doing this, our leadership aims to be responsive to what we have heard that our members desire to get from the organization. It is critical that the chapter leadership hear from our members so that we are aware of your opinions about the things that we do and the direction that you want the chapter to proceed.
Some of our goals for this year will include;
- The expansion of the UCREW program both at Wayne State and other local Universities that support commercial real estate career paths represented by our membership.
- Development and presentation of our May Professional Development program at the Inn at St. John’s.
- Implementation of leadership development and succession planning to support our strategic goals.
- Meeting the CREW Foundation Chapter Challenge.
We will be formalizing these and other chapter goals during our January Board meeting.
Other things that are important to me are that the programming that is provided to the membership is interesting and provides opportunities for networking, business development and new connections for our members and sponsors. It is also important that our activities are reflective of the CREW Network mission to advance the careers of women in the commercial real estate workplace. Our leadership wants to ensure that we provide member benefits that make your commitment to our chapter a good investment for both you and your company. One of the ways to maximize our membership benefits is to join and be active in a committee. By doing this you are easily able to make new connections within the organization and advance your business network. Please reach out to me or any of our Board members so that we can assist you in getting more involved with our organization.
Last, I recommend that you explore the CREW Network website to better understand the all of the opportunities that are available through the network. The easiest thing to do is to complete your CREWbiz profile. This alone will make your contact information available to more than 10,000 CREW Network members in the US, Canada and the UK. This is an incredible way to make connections to others who may need your expertise for their clients. This 2017 CREW Network Convention will be held in Houston in late October. This is a great way to meet other CREW members and learn more about the organization. I have had the opportunity to attend the last two CREW Conventions and have been very impressed by the quality of speakers and just how much fun you can have with CREW members.